Never The Twain Shall Meet

To my way of thinking, vegetables should stay in the vegetable garden, and flowers in the flower garden.  I guess it's my personality type, or something.  I'm also partial to planting things in rows, and not with other things.  For example, I understand that planting squash in a corn patch makes sense, but it violates some rule in my head.

My wife is more adventurous in that sort of thing.  She has encouraged me to expand my mind a little, and so last year I planted some vegetables in the flower garden.  And, as it turned out, I kind-of liked it.

If you're thinking of doing such a thing, I'll tell you that the multi-colored Swiss chard looked really nice, and, due to a long fall, we were still picking it in December.  I'm told that the roots can be eaten, and that it can be left in the ground for next year, but I pulled it.

Carrots have beautiful green tops, and since I'm very bad at thinning them out, the oval shaped bed with carrots looked lush and green.

We had a few extra cabbage plants, and they served to add some interest to a couple of flower beds.  I know people plant ornamental kale, which can be eaten, and is very pretty.

In all fairness, some flowers should be planted in the vegetable garden as well.  I like marigolds, and always have a lot of them.  The vegetable garden is a great place for them, because apparently some harmful insects don't like marigolds, and will avoid them.

So, I've grown as a grower, you might say.  But, if someone suggests growing squash in my corn again, I will definitely draw the line!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making it Fit

Look, Mildred