Beetle-Mania




If I had a dollar for every Japanese beetle I picked off our trees and plants last summer, I’d have $6,000. Well, to be fair, that’s an estimate. I stopped counting after 237 on the first day, but the “season” went on for more than a month. So, 6,000 is a pretty fair estimate. This year there seem to be fewer, but they are still plentiful.

Japanese beetles are an invasive species that originally came from… you guessed it… Japan, where they are kept at bey by natural predators which the USA doesn’t have. They are known to eat 300 different plant species, but in our yard they prefer our fruit trees, raspberries, grapes and – depending on their moods – green beans, potatoes, currents, and certain types of marigolds, into whose flowers they bury themselves.

So, for an hour or so each day I patrol the yard and garden with my plastic convenience store soda cup half-filled with water. I either grab the little buggers or flick them into the cup. It may be futile, but I figure every one I get is one that won’t reproduce for next year.

Basically, I don’t like them. The only thing that would make me like them is if they suddenly developed a big appetite for creeping Charlie, which I have in great quantities this year.

If you live someplace where you have fire ants, killer bees, murder wasps, or genocide June bugs (I just made that up), you probably scoff at my Japanese beetle diatribes, as well you should.

In the grand scheme of things, the Japanese beetles are really only a small irritant. Getting worked up about them shows how good my life really is. And yet, it is nice to have foes who have no particular political views… at least as far as I know.

If you have any sort of garden infestation, I wish you strength. If you don’t, I encourage you to enjoy a few minutes of gratitude each day.

Speaking of “a few minutes,” that’s what it takes to read my twice monthly newsletter called “Interesting Things.” It’s free, and you can subscribe here:

https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/n8r7w0 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making it Fit

Look, Mildred